Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2017 edition

Home Forums Linux Club Forum Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2017 edition

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  berkah 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

berkah
    Participant

During this regularly but rarely updated article, that is without doubt possibly the most comprehensive collection of Linux distributions’ problems upon the entire Internet, we only discuss their main problems and shortcomings (which can be the rationale why many people say Linux distros generally are not ready to the desktop) while everyone should remember the fact that there will be areas where Linux has excelled other OSes : excellent package management within one distro, multiple platforms and architectures support away from the box, usually excellent stability, no widely circulating viruses or malware, complete system reinstallation is almost never required, besides Linux is incredibly customizable, easily scripted then it’s free as in beer.

Again, let me reiterate it, this informative article is primarily about Linux distributions, however many issues listed below impact the Linux kernel (the core of Linux distros and Android) also.

This Isn’t a Windows vs. Linux comparison, however sometimes you will find comparisons with Windows or Mac OS as being a point of reference (in the end, their market penetration is with in order of magnitude higher). live streaming net tv Most issues listed here are technical by nature, however a number of them are ” political ” (it is not my word – it really is what many people say) – as an example when companies refuse to release data sheets or they release incomplete data sheets for hardware, thus Linux users do not get all of the features or respective drivers have bugs almost nobody inside the Linux community can resolve.

I need in order to make something you need crystal clear – Windows, in certain regards, is even worse than Linux and It’s its own share of critical problems. Off the highest of my head I need to name the listed quite devastating issues with Windows : • devastating Windows rot, • no enforced file system and registry hierarchy (I’ve yet to get yourself a single serious application which could uninstall itself cleanly and fully), • svchost. exe, • no true safe mode, • no clean state, • the user as being a system administrator (thus viruses/​malware – most users do not and won’t understand UAC warnings), • no good packaging mechanism (MSI is really a fragile abomination), • no system wide update mechanism (which includes third party software), • Windows is incredibly difficult to debug, • Windows boot complaints are often fatal and unsolvable until you reinstall from scratch, • Windows is hardware dependent (most especially when running from UEFI), • Windows updates are terribly unreliable and that they also waste disk space, • there is no approach to cleanly upgrade the body (There’ll be a very large number leftovers), etc.

Probably you’ve got heard often times that Android thus Linux is conquering comprehensive world since it really is running upon the majority of smart phones (that indeed little specialized computers although not desktops). However there will be two essential things to bear in mind – firstly, Android Isn’t Linux (besides have you ever seen anyone running Android on the desktop or laptop?). Android contains the major Linux component – the kernel (moreover, it is a fixed old version (3. 0. x, 3. 4. x or 3. 10. x as for 2016) that is maintained and supported solely by Google). Secondly, Android Isn’t a desktop OS, it really is an OS for mobile phones, tablets along with other touch screen devices. So, this informative article Isn’t about Android, it really is a few horde of Linux distributions and Open Source Software included by these distributions (called ” distro ” below).

Miguel de Icaza, the creator of Gnome and Mono, opined about Linux problems in an identical way, here is his opinion where he reiterates plenty of things mentioned below. He stopped using Linux in 2012, saying about his Mac the listed, ” Computing-wise that three week vacation turned out to become very relaxing. Machine would suspend and resume without problem, Wi-Fi just worked, audio Didn’t stop working, I spend three weeks without having to recompile the kernel to adjust this or that, nor fighting the video drivers, or trot out the bizarre and random speed degradation that my ThinkPad suffered “, highlighting problematic areas in Linux. Recently Linus Torvalds expressed his utter disappointment while using state of Linux upon the desktop.

Ubuntu developers made the decision to push Ubuntu as being a viable gaming platform and that they identified the topics which should be addressed so you can achieve this goal. Uncannily possibilities, they’ve formulate, matches possibilities, you are able to read below, almost verbatim. Year 2017 has come and Ubuntu (as most other Linux distors) remains experiencing GPUs, HiDPI, Network Manager and two a large number of other problematic areas. Fedora chimed in also.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.